Insurance for start-ups: occupational accident insurance

In this second part of our series about insurance for start-ups, we focus on a form of insurance required by law: the occupational accident insurance policy. As an employer, you're required to insure your employees while carrying out their jobs.

Insurance for start-ups: occupational accident insurance

Occupational accident insurance covers occupational accidents suffered by an employee in the course of and as a result of their employment and resulting in bodily injury. This means that there must be a causal connection between the accident and the injury. The cover applies in the workplace and while travelling to and from work.

Occupational accident insurance

Occupational accident insurance is the only compulsory insurance you have to take out for your employees. Remember – you have to take out the insurance before taking on your employee and must report an occupational accident within 8 calendar days.

Occupational accident insurance seems complicated at first. So, we’ll explain the main elements for you: what exactly does the policy cover? What should you do in case of an occupational accident? And are your employees also insured when working at home?

What an occupational accident insurance policy covers

An occupational accident insurance policy pays out in several instances. We list the main ones briefly below:

  • A daily payment of 90% of the average daily salary, from the first day of temporary incapacity for work;
  • An annuity once your employee’s incapacity for work becomes permanent;
  • Hospital expenses and medication costs are reimbursed according to the INAMI/RIZIV scales;
  • Costs of transport to hospitals and treating physicians are reimbursed;
  • In case of death, repatriation costs and funeral expenses are covered;
  • In case of death, the survivors receive a payment.

What should you do in case of an occupational accident?

As an employer, besides taking out occupational accident insurance, you have several other obligations in case of an occupational accident. We list the main ones for you below:

  • You must organise first aid following the accident;
  • You must report the accident;
  • You must investigate the accident;
  • You must keep a copy of the claim form for 10 years;
  • You must draw up an accident data sheet for accidents leading to a loss of at least 4 days’ work.

Although not all occupational accidents can be prevented, we recommend that everyone draws up a general prevention policy so that all of your employees are aware of the risks in the workplace.

Are your employees also insured when working at home?

Teleworking or working from home is a new trend that’s becoming more and more popular with many companies. In practice, this means that employees are able to do their jobs off the company site, for example at home.

There are two forms of home working – working from home systematically on a regular basis or working from home occasionally. As this distinction affects occupational accident insurance, we will explain it briefly.

In the first category – systematic working from home – automatic cover applies by law for occupational accidents. In the second category – occasional working from home – the victim still has to prove for themselves that they have suffered an occupational accident.

We recommend that – when taking out occupational accident insurance – all employers specify clearly whether employees are able to work from home. The insurers can then incorporate this in their policies right away, largely avoiding arguments later.

Find out more

Any questions about your occupational accident insurance? About to take on your first employee?

You can contact us straight away on +32 (0)3 217 67 53 or email

Read Part 1 Insurance for start-ups here: liability policy
Read Part 3 Insurance for start-ips here: insuring your company cars

Jesse Mertens