Cover for damage resulting from terrorism is compulsory in Belgium for the following types of insurance:
- civil liability insurance for cars;
- strict liability insurance in cases of fire and explosion;
- fire insurance for common risks (e.g. homes and small businesses);
- accident at work insurance;
- accident insurance;
- hospitalisation insurance;
- life insurance.
When is damage effectively the result of an act of terrorism? A committee composed of representatives of the government and insurance sector will decide whether a particular event meets the legal definition of terrorism.